A Very Special Scholarship!




My name is Toni Stanfield and this is My Maverick Story. In 2014, I went on a travel team to Uganda with a team from Agape Community Transformation. During that visit I was impressed deeply by the many needs in front of me. As a psychologist I know that changes, enduring changes come only from within. Nobody can do the emotional work for another. I felt the same way for the people of Uganda. The only changes can come from within. They have to lead their own people to better roads, better schools and a better society.

We need to cultivate leadership and harness the talents given to the young people. We need to create future leaders.

Thus, the idea of the Maverick Leadership Scholarship Program was born. In July 2014 my brother-in-law, Greg Peterson, a businessman, a computer scientist and owner of his own company died. His nickname was Maverick. 

In his honor the scholarship was started.

As of today, 4 scholars have completed their university studies and they are proving to be change agents for their community and Uganda: Tukahirwa Judith, nurse midwife; Agaba Benson, teacher; Ainembabazi Isaac, environment engineer; Asimwe Ronah, nurse. Tushbomwe Naclet is currently enrolled to become a teacher.

I still believe that one of the most precious natural resources of a country is not gold or silver but the talents of their citizens. It is important to harness and cultivate those talents through education. About 1% of Ugandan students make it to university. And a degree for 4 years in Uganda costs about $3,000 USD. In Uganda average income per capita per year is $2,400.

Last November by fundraising at St. Francis Catholic Church we were able to raise $6,000. In June 2023, we selected the 6th Maverick Scholar. These young people are the future of Uganda and we are proud to support them in their dreams!

Thank you,

Toni Stanfield



I am Judith Tukahirwa, the first winner of the Maverick Leadership Scholarship. I am the happiest that I graduated as an enrolled midwife in 2019. I am not the true Maverick. I am thankful to all maverick fans, friend, well-wishers and Maverick Mentors. Maverick Leadership Scholarship has transformed me from a young shame girl to a powerful woman. It has helped me to achieve all that I would never achieve in life. I am proud and thankful for that. Special thanks to everyone that is behind Maverick Leadership Scholarship Program. Long live Maverick; long live ACT!

Judith Tukahirwa

If you are interested in being a support of the Maverick Leadership Scholarship, please click here to make a donation!

Learn more about ACT:



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What a Week - What a Celebration!

ACT's Sustainable Future

20 Years Celebrated with Fanfare!