Generous Leads ACT

Generous Turinawe, ACT Uganda Director

Praise the Lord for he can lift anything from nothing to something!

"He raises the poor from dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap; he seats them with princes and he makes them inherit a throne of honor. For the foundations of the earth are the Lord's; on them he has set the world." 1 Samuel 2:8

ACT was born in 2003 between two families: the Turinawe family in Uganda and the Waechter family in the US. It began as an ecumenical Community-Based Organization (CBO) located in Muko Sub County, Rubanda District with one volunteer Tito Tugume who recruited seven volunteers - one from each parish. From that beginning, we now have two registered NGOS (non-governmental organizations/nonprofit) and Boards of Directors (Uganda and US), hundreds of volunteers, ten paid staff in Uganda, and six programs that meet many needs of the 40,000+ residents of the Sub County. 

I feel so proud of what God has accomplished through all of us who have combined efforts to transform the Muko community. Starting was not easy but God provided great men and women with wisdom, resilience and determination.

As the Leader in Uganda I oversee all six programs and the other nine paid staff through communication via phone calls and emails because I live in Kampala, the capital of Uganda. I attend to their inquiries and assist them in managing their projects especially the specific areas they may need my assistance to better understand or solve issues as well as address emergencies. I am responsible for the financial bookkeeping and reconciliations for ACT.

I attend to many emails from our US partners providing information they may need and putting ideas together for project planning and development. I have attended uncountable meetings both physical and virtual for all ACT programs - some of which I organize. 

One of my most important responsibilities is ensuring ACT is in good relationship with the Government of Uganda by signing the Memorandum of Understanding and staying current about Ugandan NGO policies and implementing requirements needed for compliance. I attend to issues from the bank, Uganda Revenue Authority, Uganda Registration Service Bureau, and National Bureau of NGOs. I ensure policies and employee conduct are lawful and in line with ACT's mission. I engage ACT Uganda Board members to actively participate by providing me with the requirements needed.  I pursue additional opportunities and am building our capacity for fund-raising in Uganda. I live in Kampala and when I travel the eight hours to Muko, I carry out staff meetings, visitations to schools, meeting sponsored students and the administrators to know how the ACT students are performing both academically and behaviorally and to check on their welfare.

ACT is blessed to have many, many many friends working shoulder-to-shoulder for the greater present and future of the people of Muko Sub County and the Rubanda District. To all the people serving on the ACT program teams and ACT Boards, I salute you! I wish I could write all your names here but space is limited. Your support will be remembered always and God's blessings are with you now and always.

Shalom!

Generous Turinawe, ACT Uganda Director

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a Week - What a Celebration!

ACT's Sustainable Future

20 Years Celebrated with Fanfare!